Spinach contains an impressive range of active substances which are indispensable to the body. In its structure we find mineral salts (sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc, manganese, iodine, copper), vitamins (C, B1, B2, B6, PP, E, K, folic acid, vitamin A), chlorophyll, amino acids such as arginine and lysine, but also lipids, protides, glucides and fibbers.
· Time: 20 Mins.
· Serves: 3-4 persons
· 1 big bunch of washed spinach
· 1 medium-sized boiled and mashed potato
· 1 medium-sized onion
· 1-2 green challis
· 1 tbsp butter
· 1/2 tbsp cornflour
· Pinch of nutmeg powder
· 1″ cinnamon stick
· Salt to taste
· 1 cup milk (skimmed)
· Garnish with cream (optional)
· Heat butter in a pan.
· Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
· Add the spinach leaves along with green chilies and sauté for another 2 minutes.
· Add 4 cups of water. Let it cook till the leaves turn tender, approx 3-4 minutes.
· Cool, strain and puree the spinach-onion mixture along with mashed potato.
· Add milk to the pureed spinach and cinnamon stick and simmer it on medium heat.
· Add salt and nutmeg powder and mix well. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
· Serve hot
Garnish: with Cream